Everybody has to grow old but growing old without pain is what we all want.
The journey from birth to old age depends on how we spend our lives---giving due respect to our body and mind, right from childhood will give better results at our old age. Our old age is directly proportional to the lives we spend before we step in old age. The process can be expedited or worsen if we do not take care of ourselves in our youth. The following are a few tips to age gracefully.
1. Be Active: Both physically and mentally. Participate in healthy activities for at least 30 minutes daily. Exercise. Join a Gym, take a walk and be active at least 4 times a week--keep the joints moving. Remember, exercise is not only a prevention but a natural treatment to many diseases.
2. Pray. Daily prayer appears to help your immune system. And people who attend a formal worship service regularly live longer and report happier, healthier lives.
3. Yoga or meditation. Learn to meditate. It's important for your brain that you learn to shut out the stresses of everyday life. Other than various relaxation exercises, learn the art of breathing.
4. Personal Growth. Invest in your personal growth. Read books, join classes which you always wanted to do but did not have time before. Write and read something daily. Write your experience of life, maybe your autobiography. Writing & reading stimulates many areas of the brain.
5. Sleep. Get enough sleep because lack of sleep causes dementia.
6. Family first. Be connected with your family and enjoy the time with children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.
7. Love. Keep the love alive---with your near and dear ones. Never think that love is only for teenagers and young couples. You can be in love even now.
8. Nature. Enjoy the nature and be with nature---take a walk near the seaside, forest or river/lake.
9. Social Cause. Involve yourself with social causes---help & serve people who need your help. One that I am involved in is finished : reduce night blindness from the world. http://vision-foundation.com/
10. Play. Playing board games such as Chess, Scrabble and Monopoly, tax your brain and at the same time, you're socializing too. Even playing solo games, such as solitaire or online computer brain games can be helpful.
11. Food. Eat more fruits and vegetables: Antioxidants in fruits and vegetables mop up some of the damage caused by free radicals, one of the leading killers of brain cells. The elderly person's diet should be high in nutrient-dense food, but low in high-fat food, due do diminished energy needs.
12. Food Supplements. Consume natural supplements to detox your body and keep your brain healthy. Food supplements like Lion's Mane, Spirulina and Cordyceps candies, Noni Juice& Reishi mushroom help in keeping your cells healthy in both your brain and body.
Enjoy your old age.... enjoy every moment of it.